Eduard Ruchti was born on August 10, 1834 and grew up in Unterseen, where his parents ran the Hotel Beau-Site.
In 1856 an enterprising young hotel pioneer Eduard Ruchti (then only 22) purchased the Pension Victoria, which had previously been a doctor‘s house. Eight years later, he commissioned local architects Friedrich Studer and Horace Edouard Davinet to re-design the property completely. After only nine months‘ work, the new Hotel Victoria opened for business in 1865. In 1895, Ruchti transformed his private enterprise into a joint stock company and acquired the adjacent Hotel Jungfrau (which had been built by Davinet in 1864). Two years later the ornately decorated banquet room – now the „Jungfrau Brasserie“ – was completed. And 1899 saw the two buildings linked by the distinctive dome-topped central tract fronted by an imposing façade.
Besides the VICTORIA-JUNGFRAU Grand Hotel and Spa, Edward Ruchti also ran a hotel on the Cote d’Azur, which was open during the winter months. While the house in Interlaken was only in operation during the summer season. At the end of the season, a large proportion of the employees were taken by horse carriages from Interlaken to the Cote d'Azur to work there during the winter season. This made it possible for Ruchti to employ a large part of his staff throughout the year.